Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Spaceman

Today I have a birthday card to show you.  I made it for a special 4 year old little boy and I thought he might like an interactive card. I used the Space Explorer set from MFT.  I started by making the background on Strathmore watercolor paper.  I smooched some Distress inks onto my craft mat, sprayed a little water on then dropped the watercolor paper on and moved it around, then I dried it.  I wasn't thrilled with the results because it was way too light.  Next I put some Worn Lipstick, Broken China and Faded Jeans Oxide inks on my craft mat, spritzed a little water and dragged the paper around through it.  After I dried it, I still wasn't happy because it was still too light.  Next I took Ranger blending tools and sponged on Blueprint Sketch, Wilted Violet, Chipped Sapphire and Black Soot Distress inks.  I was a lot happier with the darkness but felt it still needed something so I got out my Denim Adirondack Color Wash spray and spritzed it a couple of times...bam...it finally looked like what I had in mind!  I watered down some white acrylic paint and splattered it on to look like stars and my background was done!





































Next I took two circle dies that cut two circles about 3/8" apart, taped them together with Post-it Tape and cut a channel out of the background for the interactive part.  I stamped the astronaut, 2 planets, a bunch of stars and the little space ship and colored them with Copics.  






































To assemble my card, I attached the space sky background and center circle to a folded Night of Navy card with extra thick foam tape.  I punched out a 1/2" circle of Night of Navy and glued a Spin & Slide Disc (MFT) to it.  I then glued that onto a washer and put it into the channel.  I glued the little space ship onto the disc so it would slide freely around the channel.  The weight of the washer made it move much more easily on it's own. 






































I finished the card off by gluing the astronaut onto the center circle, and the planets and stars around the edges.  I loved the sentiment from the Space Explorer set!  It was perfect for the inside of my card.  I added a "Happy Birthday" from the Ocean Pals set from MFT.  I hope little Oliver has fun with my card.  






































Thanks for visiting.  Keep stamping!!
Janet

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic card Janet! It's funny but I've bought the same stamps to make a similar card but haven't had chance to use them yet. The background was definitely worth all the work you put into it to get to look how you envisioned as it's a wonderful starry sky. Lovely colouring of all the stamped images. I just hope mine will look half as good as yours when I finally make it. Debra x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thus us the sweetest little boy card. I love it

    ReplyDelete